This Creative Life

Welcome to the creative work of Alan White, head writer and producer of "FEEDBACK; A HERO'S CALLING," now at Broken Sea. The "Feedback" in question is Matthew Atherton, My Hero. He and other heroes of mine have links found down the left side of these pages. Enjoy!

Saturday, February 17, 2007

The Performance Barrier

I think I figured something out.

I can do a lot of stuff, but I don't know it until I've tried.

I hate to try because I don't know if I can do it and the not-knowing makes me anxious. The anxiety comes because I fear failure. Failure seems like ruin. In my mind, ruin cannot be repaired. But I'm wrong.

If I try and fail, I can, and should, try again. Ruin doesn't come from failure. Education comes from failure. The potential to improve comes from failure. My father was a 40-year old man when I was born--you think he would have had the wisdom to tell me that. But how ever old I wind up being when my son(s) and/or daughter(s) is/are born, I'll make sure to impart it.

Life is a series of performance barriers. I'm discovering that they are worth breaking through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home