This Creative Life

Welcome to the creative work of Alan White, head writer and producer of "FEEDBACK; A HERO'S CALLING," now at Broken Sea. The "Feedback" in question is Matthew Atherton, My Hero. He and other heroes of mine have links found down the left side of these pages. Enjoy!

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Now HERE'S Something You'll REALLY Like!

I went surfing for an example for a good cover letter to send with my synopsis and first three chapters of my novel that I'm going to deliver to Tor Books tomorrow and I found this archive from 5 years ago.

I noticed a lot of references to Tor Books in the article. Then I noticed the name of the author--Teresa Nielsen Hayden. Then I noticed the web address.

In case you haven't followed the link to Tor books in the "Editing" post, Patrick Nielsen Hayden is the guy I'm going to give my submission to.

I JUST HAPPENED TO FIND, ON THE FIRST WEBSEARCH FOR A COVER LETTER, THE PERFECT EXAMPLE OF HOW TO DO IT CORRECTLY FROM MY PERSPECTIVE EDITOR'S WIFE?!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?

This is almost as freaky as idolizing a real life superhero, sending him an e-mail and ending up writing his audio adventures, then hanging out with his heroic sidekick tomorrow night ... oh.

Well.

That's all right then.

So here is the cover letter;

Patrick Nielsen Hayden
Tor Books
175 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10010

Dear Mr. Nielsen Hayden:

I’ve enclosed a synopsis and the first three chapters of my 60,500-word fantasy novel, The Very Elect. It is the story of Anders Travesti, who puts his father to death for heresy against the Cardinal Law of Peridyym and is then sent on a journey to investigate his father’s conspirators. The tragedy that lies before him will not come from discovering if he did the right thing, but in discovering the very nature of heroism itself. This will be my first published novel.

I am the author of the blogspot
This Redeemable Life and the writer/creative director of the audio adventures Feedback; A Hero’s Calling found at www.DarkerProjects.com.

Thanks so much for considering my submission. I’ve also included a self-addressed stamped envelope for your reply. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,




Alan White

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're going to hang with Nitro G? Color me green with envy - that is just amazing.

And how long until the next audio adventure is published? I heard a week, but I wanted to know if there's been any wrinkles in the plan.

-Archive

9:02 PM  
Blogger Me said...

You heard "a week" from who? Because that would be amazing.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Me said...

And the Nitro G thing is a fluke. I'm going to be with him while he records his part for Episode #3. But it's going to be in his house, so that constitutes as hanging out, right?

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you found it useful. Isn't the internet wonderful?

TNH

11:22 AM  
Blogger Me said...

Is it wonderful? Y-yes, v-very wonderful Ma'am. Th-thank you so m-much for stopping by, Ma'am. And, um, I ... uh ... hope y-your husband finds my m-manuscript just a-as useful Mrs. Neilsen Hayden, Ma'am.

*faints*

12:15 PM  
Blogger Shesawriter said...

Have you picked yourself off the floor yet?

Google is amazing, ain't it. LOL!

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

::laughs:: TNH is a wonderful woman. I remember briefly meeting her at a Mill & Swill one year when I went with Holly.

Best of luck with your submission.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Thank you, Steve!

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home