This Creative Life

Welcome to the creative work of Alan White, head writer and producer of "FEEDBACK; A HERO'S CALLING," now at Broken Sea. The "Feedback" in question is Matthew Atherton, My Hero. He and other heroes of mine have links found down the left side of these pages. Enjoy!

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

NaNoWriMo Day 15

My Other Hero has sconced the torch and I feel bound by my affection for him to hold it aloft once again and re-enter the race. He met his goal already, even if not at 50K words. I have not.

The novel that I'm working on is set in my fantasy gameworld, which I conceived about five or six years ago. The premise is still alluring to me -- what does it look like to build a nation from scratch? My problem was, I had asked myself that question and then I jumped ahead hundreds of years to start telling my tales in that world. Last year I decided to start at the near-beginning, since that was where it was most exciting for me. Now,I'm not an actual scientist or archeologist so I had no intentions to evolve life on a landmass (as IF) and retell A Space Odyssey, so I had to bring a civilized population to a virgin landmass and thus begin. And so I did.

That premise set up a completely independent set of questions that I had to answer, and thus the ability to complete at least one novel. Then of course, there are stories I want to tell in that world, and stories in this world that I also want to tell. I floundered for the past couple of years until some time in mid-October. Real life inspiring art and setting my creativity afire.

And the devil of it is, I have a novel already on my harddrive that I could enter into NaNoWriMo today and meet my 50K word goal, but that's not what I want. I want to finish the one I'm working on now.

So here I go. AND I'm a friend of Matt Atherton's. So how alright is that then?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

greeting from Idaho

9:36 AM  
Blogger Me said...

Hi-daho!

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home